Thursday, May 13, 2021

13 May 2021: Cuomo Claims "Harassment is not making someone feel uncomfortable"

Gov. Cuomo: 'Harassment is not making someone feel uncomfortable'

Governor Cuomo, in his own words. The following excerpt provides the context in which the issue of harassment was raised and Governor Cuomo's response:

During an unrelated press conference about COVID-19 vaccinations, Mr. Cuomo was asked by a reporter to “acknowledge the fact that your intentions, according to the law, don’t matter in sexual harassment” and to clarify his February statement apologizing for, but not denying, making people feel uncomfortable.

“I said I never meant to make anyone feel uncomfortable,” the governor said. “I never said anything I believe is inappropriate. You can leave this press conference today and say, ‘Oh, the governor harassed me.’ You can say that.

“I would say I never said anything that I believed was inappropriate,” he continued. “I never meant to make you feel that way. You may hear it that way. You may interpret it that way and I respect that, and I apologize to you if I said something you think is offensive.”

When pressed further, Mr. Cuomo responded, “Harassment is not making someone feel uncomfortable. That is not harassment. If I just made you feel uncomfortable, that is not harassment. That’s you feeling uncomfortable, OK?”

That's quite a self-serving, almost sociopathic sentiment, isn't it? During the news briefing also claimed to be "eager" to tell his side of the stories involving his alleged sexual harassment of at least nine women, but we don't believe he indicated what was stopping him as the Governor of New York with access to multiple forums from doing so.

It also contradicts Governor Cuomo's own prior statements on the topic. Here's relevant coverage from the timeline:

It's another example of why Governor Cuomo is desperately seeking better PR people and more legal help.