Saturday, May 29, 2021

29 May 2021: CNN Host Goes On Record with Chris Cuomo Criticism

CNN’s Jake Tapper Whacks Chris Cuomo: ‘He Put Us in a Bad Spot’

Most of the media coverage of CNN insiders' reaction to Chris Cuomo's conflicts of interest and compromised ethical integrity has come from anonymous sources within the news network. Jake Tapper is the first on-air personality at CNN to open criticize Chris Cuomo's role in advising his scandal-plagued brother, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, on how to manage the media:

“I cannot imagine a world in which anybody in journalism thinks that that was appropriate,” Tapper said in an interview with The New York Times published May 27. “So I agree with that. And he said, Chris, in his apology that he delivered on air, said that he put us in a bad spot. And I would also agree with that.”...

Tapper went on however to disavow having any significant role in CNN's editorial and management decisions that have contributed to the network's loss of credibility, especially those involving its coverage of Governor Cuomo's scandals and the decision to retain Chris Cuomo as a major on-air personality despite his ongoing conflicts of interest.

Tapper argued that while the issue might reflect on Cuomo’s colleagues, it didn’t influence their programming.

“It doesn’t affect my work,” he said. “Their work is not my work and my work is not their work. And yes, we all reflect on each other. But the only thing I have a role in, the only thing I have any control in, because I’m not management, right? I’m not the CNN bureau chief of D.C., I don’t have a say in anything other than what airs on my show.”

Tapper's comments were made on the New York Times' "Sway" podcast.

Speaking of the recent editorial decisions made by Tapper and other CNN editors and managers, here are related stories from the timeline: