Monday, May 24, 2021

24 May 2021: Governor Cuomo Claims Other Journalists Are Advising Him

Gov. Cuomo says he gets advice from ‘journalists’ other than brother Chris

Governor Cuomo made an extraordinary claim at a news briefing today:

During a news conference at Long Island’s Jones Beach, the governor confirmed a report that his younger brother, Chris, joined a series of conference calls to help the Democratic governor plan his response to the sexual harassment scandal that’s plaguing him.

“I had conversations with my brother. I always have conversations with my brother because he’s my brother and he’s my best friend,” Andrew Cuomo said in response to a question from The Post.

“Obviously, he was aware of what was going on and I talked to him about it, and he told me his thoughts. He always tells me his thoughts. Sometimes I follow them, sometimes I don’t. He was not covering the story. He had recused himself from the story.”

And in a surprise assertion, Cuomo added: “But I talk to journalists about situations all the time and they tell me their thoughts and their advice.”

The governor didn’t identify any of the journalists or elaborate on the “thoughts and advice” they shared with him or when those conversations purportedly took place.

Cuomo’s office didn’t immediately respond to a request for additional information to back up his claim.

If true, a number of supposely objective journalists now need to come clean on their contacts with Governor Cuomo. Because if they don't and the truth comes out of that relationship, their journalism careers will immediately be over. Chances are their employers aren't as invested in them or their careers as CNN bizarrely appears to be in Chris Cuomo, so they won't benefit from the kind of protection on high that he has.

If not true, what on earth is Governor Cuomo thinking? He's added to his potential scandal pile for zero benefit.