Wednesday, April 07, 2021

7 April 2021: Governor Cuomo Tests New Excuse to Justify Friends and Family COVID Testing Privileges

Cuomo mum on if family got priority COVID-19 testing during early days of pandemic

The headline for this report misses the main development in Governor Cuomo's latest effort at PR damage control:

WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell on Wednesday asked the governor if he thought it was “appropriate” for his family to be given priority testing and asked if he was even aware that it was happening.

The governor did not seem to deny that his family was given priority for COVID-19 testing but, did note that there is an ongoing investigation into the situation by state lawmakers.

“The Assembly is looking at testing issue and I don't want to get ahead of them but, I was not involved in in the testing program to that intimate level,” the governor said.

Cuomo added that people whom he came into close contact with were required to be tested regularly, and that included his family members.

“People who I would meet with and I would be in exposure with, I was aware they were being tested,” Cuomo said. “So, if you came to see me in my office, you would be tested. And that applied with my family also but, the Assembly is doing a review on that and I would let them do it.”

Note the weird 'hands-off' language trying to separate himself from the special privileges bestowed upon his associates and family members on his behalf, as if he had no influence over who came to his office.

Bonus question: were similar privileges bestowed upon the associates and family members of Governor Cuomo's senior advisers?