Tuesday, August 17, 2021

17 August 2021: Chris Cuomo Claims He "Tried to Do the Right Thing"

Chris Cuomo breaks silence on brother’s scandal, admits to urging gov to resign

Chris Cuomo may be the dictionary definition picture of the bottom story of the day. The following excerpt features his comments after returning to host CNN's Prime Time news broadcast after a week's vacation on Monday, 16 August 2021.

Chris Cuomo on Monday night finally broke his on-air silence about his brother’s sexual harassment scandal — claiming network rules prevented his from covering it.

“I never covered my brother’s troubles because I obviously have conflict, and there are rules and CNN about that,” Cuomo said at the end of his 9 p.m. show....

On Monday night, he downplayed the conversations he had with his brother during that time as simply brotherly advice.

“I never reported on the scandal. And when it happened, I tried to be there for my brother. I’m not an advisor, I’m a brother. I wasn’t in control of anything. I was there to listen, offer my take,” he said on air.

He also admitted that he urged his brother to resign, saying it “was something I never imagine having to do.”

We consolidated a lot of the timeline's coverage of the critiques of Chris Cuomo's ethically-compromised journalism into a single timeline entry, which links to many other related timeline entries providing examples of it:

The clock is ticking on his career at CNN. Given the damage he has done to the news network's reputation, the clock may be ticking on CNN too.