Saturday, June 12, 2021

12 June 2021: Assemblyman Ron Kim Targeted for Harassment by Cuomo Supporters

Lawmaker critical of Andrew Cuomo says he’s been sent racist messages — and multiple copies of gov’s books

Andrew M. Cuomo's political supporters are making their presence felt by a change in the tactics they're employing against the governor's critics.

One of Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s most outspoken critics is finding out that if you mess with the three-term Democrat, bad things can happen.

Assemblyman Ron Kim (D-Queens) told The Post on Friday that he’s been bombarded with hateful emails and Facebook messages for repeatedly calling out Cuomo over his handling of nursing homes during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Kim, who is Asian, said he’s been called a “gook,” told he’s “rotten to the core,” and asked whether his “fixation” on Cuomo was affecting his marriage.

One writer even issued a veiled threat, saying, “If I were you I would repent. Make peace with the governor. Because time is short. You don’t want to make God angry.”

“The lord Jesus has his back. He will protect him…And his enemies will be scattered,” the writer added.

The last portion of that excerpt provides a taste of the abusive electronic communications Kim has received. The article provides longer examples.

For his part, Kim is continuing his stance demanding Governor Cuomo be held accountable for COVID deaths in New York nursing homes resulting from the administration's deadly 25 March 2020 directive. But Kim notes the threats may take a toll:

Kim also called it “disturbing that there are still people susceptible to Cuomo’s demagoguery and will go out of their way to target someone like me for doing my job, which has been to stick up for older adults and vulnerable constituents.”

He added, “I do not want to lower my voice but at some point, if I feel like my family and my staff are in an uncomfortable place, I may have to.”

Related items from the timeline: