Wednesday, February 02, 2022

2 February 2022: Desperately Needed Housecleaning Begins at CNN

Jeff Zucker resigns from CNN

The news network boss who enabled the ethically-challenged "journalism" of Chris Cuomo is resigning in disgrace from the network. But his announced departure is very Andrew M. Cuomo-esque:

CNN Worldwide president Jeff Zucker said Wednesday that he is resigning, effective immediately.

Zucker said in a memo, "As part of the investigation into Chris Cuomo's tenure at CNN, I was asked about a consensual relationship with my closest colleague, someone I have worked with for more than 20 years. I acknowledged the relationship evolved in recent years. I was required to disclose it when it began but I didn't. I was wrong. As a result, I am resigning today."

Zucker did not name his colleague in the memo, but the relationship is with Allison Gollust, the chief marketing officer for CNN. Gollust is remaining at CNN.

In an email to staffers sent shortly after Zucker's, Jason Kilar, the CEO of CNN parent WarnerMedia, said, "I have accepted Jeff Zucker's resignation as Chairman of WarnerMedia News and Sports, and President of CNN Worldwide. We thank Jeff for his contributions over the past 9 years."

We're afraid it will take far more than ousting Zucker to fix what's wrong with CNN. Many more heads need to roll at the "most trusted name in news" to right its badly damaged journalistic reputation.