Monday, May 25, 2020

25 May 2020: Governor Cuomo Blames Bad COVID Models for NY Nursing Home Deaths

“We All Failed”— The Real Reason Behind NY Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Surprising Confession

It took until Memorial Day for Governor Cuomo to acknowledge the models he and other public officials relied upon in setting policy was wrong. Here are excerpts from Cuomo's comments at the news briefing that took place on the U.S.S. Intrepid museum in New York City (emphasis ours):

"Now, people can speculate. People can guess. I think next week, I think two weeks, I think a month. I'm out of that business because we all failed at that business. Right? All the early national experts. Here's my projection model. Here's my projection model. They were all wrong. They were all wrong.

"There are a lot of variables. I understand that. We didn't know what the social distancing would actually amount to. I get it, but we were all wrong. So, I'm sort of out of the guessing business, right?”

Unfortunately, much of Governor Cuomo's more recent actions are consistent with his seeking to muddy the waters in a deliberate efforts to avoid personal responsibility for costing the lives of thousands of elderly New Yorkers, where a full accounting of nursing home residents impacted by his decisions based on the models would cover over 10% of the names listed on the front page of the 24 May 2020 Sunday edition of the New York Times to represent all the COVID-19 deaths in all the U.S.