Friday, September 24, 2021

24 September 2021: The Media's Knives Come Out for Chris Cuomo

By definition, any story involving the host of CNN's PrimeTime broadcast, Chris Cuomo, qualifies as the bottom story of the day. That said, the knives really came out for him today.

Chris Cuomo Sexually Harassed Me. I Hope He'll Use His Power to Make Change

Proving once again that the one type of scandal the New York Times cares enough about to cover more than any other is sexual harassment, the newspaper gave op-ed space to ABC News' Shelley Ross, who recounted a 2005 episode where Chris Cuomo sexually harassed her in front of her husband. It's remarkable in the sense that Ross had been Cuomo's boss and had chosen to keep quiet about the episode for so long. At least, until now.

I was at the party with my husband, who sat behind me on an ottoman sipping his Diet Coke as I spoke with work friends. When Mr. Cuomo entered the Upper West Side bar, he walked toward me and greeted me with a strong bear hug while lowering one hand to firmly grab and squeeze the cheek of my buttock.

"I can do this now that you’re no longer my boss," he said to me with a kind of cocky arrogance. "No you can’t," I said, pushing him off me at the chest while stepping back, revealing my husband, who had seen the entire episode at close range. We quickly left.

Chris Cuomo's continued prominence as the face of CNN's ethically troubled news coverage and his role in advising his brother, Andrew M. Cuomo, as he faced allegations of sexual harassment from multiple women ensured the story blew up across many media organizations.

Here's a selection of stories that did more than regurgitate the content of Ross' op-ed:

What do you suppose the over-under is for how long Chris Cuomo remains the face of CNN?

Late updates and reactions: